Thursday 30 December 2010

Look back

The veteran texts 400 words. He is becoming adept with his new tech. "It was Bresnan what won it," he says, imitating The Sun all those Thatcher years ago. "He knows how to bowl, does the lad. Reminds me a bit of myself, all that long time ago." Let us see if Bresnan survives even as long as the next Test when there is a rumour that Panesar will take his place. I do hope not. Snotty Mike Atherton describes him as an honest toiler. Reminds me of a conversation with Clive Lloyd all those years ago. "It seems to me that as soon as they leave the field of play and become TV commentors they forget everything they learnt as cricketers," he said. I wonder, It's nore likely they think they have to talk populist rubbish to keep the - very well-paid - job on the gantry. "Move mid-off to extra cover," is nothing like as attractive a bit of commentary as "Why don't they put in a short leg and bounce him." The Lotto lads and lasses are already in Sydney preparing to celebrate the winning of the series, firewords over the Harbour and liberal supplies of Aussie wine. I do hope they are not disappointed. Tears ago I learnt not to trust the final game of an already decided one-day series. Just take note of my alledged wisdom. Remember Australia won the fifth Test when the Gatting team kept the Ashes all those years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment