Wednesday 16 September 2009

ITYS

We are seeing the biggest revolution. No, not since Packer, not since Bodyline, not since the lawn mower meant pitches fit to bat on. The biggest revolution in the game's history.

Since I suggested that Andrew Flintoff was ready to go freelance - my own status for the last 20 years so I sympathise and understand - he has confirmed that he has turned down the ECB contract and will choose his own paymasters in future.

Today the Professional Cricketers Association have said Freddie will just be one of many. The pace quickens, a new world awaits the bold players willing to tread the same path as Freddie with Kevin Pietersen the most likely to follow in his footsteps.

I know KP has said he wants to continue to play in Tests. If I were his manager I would hope to negotiate with the ECB to make that possible.

In the meantime I am busy leaning out of the window and shouting "I Told You So." If you doubt my word read Monday's blog.

Read my Tuesday blog if you want to find the reason. Cricket in England is in a state of confusion on the field and in the boardroom.

The wrong players are being chosen, based on Buggins Turn rather than need and merit.

England will continue to play 50-50 cricket at international level but we no longer have a domestic tournament to use as a training ground.

One captain resigns in frustration; a second is sacked for suggesting that the players don't like the coach; the third is what you might expect of a third choice leader.

Is it too much to expect action from ECB? That will come all right. Any day now they will set up a working party, a sub committee, an inquiry. ECB have done it before and just look where we are right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment