Friday 18 September 2009

Waiting game

The cafe: this morning. Me and the old timer.

"I went tha knows," he said. His accent gets stronger when he's annoyed.

"Went where?"

"Trent Bridge. My lad posted me his ticket. He's got mumps or gout or measles or sommat. 50 quid. Well, it was nice of him. I got the train, bought a pint when I got there, had a couple of sandwiches in the supper break when I - daft of course but I am getting on a bit - thought we'd win. That's another £27 to get there and eat and drink. Still, I thought I've got this free ticket and it were nice of our kid to send it through. I felt guilty tha knows. Thought I ought to send him t'cost of t'postage or somethin'."

"And you enjoyed the match?"

"I kept lookin' round for someone to say something to. Like why is Straussy? but he sets too many questions that lad. In the end you have to say he doesn't understand the game and how it can be played. Like we played it 40 years ago. I know I were not much cop when you compare me with the likes of May and Cowdrey and Dexter and Mike Smith but we knew what was going on. If the ball was up in the air there was no need to shout 'Catch it!' What the bloody hell else were you going to do? Kick it into touch?"

"You didn't enjoy the match then?"

"Liked the Aussies. Nice straight bats. One sweep in 50 overs. Never were a business stroke. 'Look at me' sort of a shot. Particularly reverse sweep. Festival stuff. England played dozens. Oh, and Sven Goran Eriksson was there. Tiny, neat, dapper, bit of a baby face. Perhaps he'd have sorted them."

"Like he sorted those ladies?" I giggled. "But what are you saying. Aussies the better side and lost the Ashes?" I wanted to get a reaction.

"I know what you're thinking. No, never. Doesn't make sense. Toss away a winning bonus? There's no sense in that. But cricket knowledge, understanding of the game and tactics; only one side on the field."

"What's the answer then?"

"Too many 'lets wait' merchants in charge. Nobody takin' an initiative. 'We'll have a committee meeting and then decide. Oh, next over then? No the over after that. Things might get better.' You can wait too long. But you know that."

"After watching the last two matches I'm not sure I know anything," I said. "Two coffees, please," I said, "and give this gentleman a strong one. He's just praised the Aussies. I think he can't be feeling well."

No comments:

Post a Comment