Wednesday 13 October 2010

Help!

October 13 - and it is 28 years exactly since I flew to Australia for my first major tour. I have since realised that Bob Willis and his men almost drew that series. If there had been modern technology - I was still using a typewriter and sending my copy by telex - John Dyson would have been run out by Willis's direct hit in the first over of the final Test a couple of days after England had won the fourth Test. Instead by the final day it was down to Bob Taylor to provide the memorable moment by kissing the turf as his trips Down Under - so often fruitless while he waited for Alan Knott to trip over a carpet or be carried off by a dingo - came to an end. By the way, did you notice that the dingo baby case is still being fought out in Oz? Incidentally the news from our overland travellers is not good. I guess. Today I had a text which simply said: "Help." Where it came from or what sort of help was appropriate I cannot tell. I bet they're in the seats at the Gabba 44 days hence all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment