Friday 10 April 2009

Lord's waiting

Most of those who have played cricket are all too aware of frustration.

I am. My school did not play other schools. Bizarrely, it was because the headmaster - R C Shorter, just imagine what we called him - took umbrage when his choir was booed for winning at a local music festival and decided his teams would never compete again.

A new headmaster brought inter-school sport back again, I was chosen and when I got home that night I discovered that I had a date for a long awaited operation. Debut delayed, of course; and the operation kept me out for the rest of the summer.

When debut day dawned for the second time the rains fell with a ferocity that only North West Yorkshire can produce and when I finally reached the crease I got a first-baller.

Yes, frustration enough to make me sympathise with Michael Vaughan, England's finest captain turned Test hopeful, back in consideration at No.3, desperate for the chance to make a big score but thwarted by the decision of the MCC captain Rob Key to bowl, a long innings by the weight-reduced Ian Blackwell and now the rain.

The forecast is for fine weather but we all know the only certainties in life are death, taxes and damnable, mocking, incorrect forecasts of sunshine, when the reality is rain.

Vaughan must feel as if his best choice is to quit and apply for the post of England director of cricket even if he has few technical qualifications and the post is already going to Andy Flower. That way England get Vaughan's brain and reputation as an Aussie beater and end his mighty frustration.

Still with 136 days to go to the end of the Ashes there is still time for Vaughan's luck to turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment