Sunday 5 April 2009

Revival or what?

I have waited 48 hours to decide if England's impressive victory in the final one-dayer against West Indies is a corner turned; I am still dithering.

The members of RACC (otherwise the Regal Association of Cricket Correspondents) have come to the conclusion - seperately I hope - that once Flower is made coach and Strauss is appointed captain again a procession round Trafalgar Square with the little urn held high is assured.

I think we may have to wait until the end of the West Indies series in the cold, wet and windy England next month to settle that question. First we have the IPL.

If Flintoff returns to his millionaire's village home unscathed, if Pietersen goes back to his posh pad in Chelsea with a bagful of runs I am willing to believe in the miracle that will be The Return of the Ashes.

That still ignores the worries about miserable Harmison, whose obsession Newcaste United are as good as relegated already, unhappiness at No.3 and the sad wicket-keeping of Prior.

Let us assume that Flintoff, Anderson and Panesar are the main bowlers, we can trust that a fourth will be found from Broad, Mahmood, Rashid and Swann and a host of no-nos.

However no-one must tell me that Owais Shah, Bopara or even Vaughan offer safety at first wicket down lest I blow a gasket. As for Prior, he is more likely to be the right man for the No.3 spot than an adequate keeper.

As president of the CROC - roughly translated as Cricket's Regal Order of Cynics - I wait with little optimism for victory 141 days away.

No comments:

Post a Comment